It is a slang expression most commonly found in the sports betting industry.
Beard – a bookmaker's client who bets for other people.
The origin of the nickname stems from the desire to conceal his identity. For this, he can actually grow a beard.
Then send someone to play instead of yourself? This is necessary in different situations:
- If the client is blacklisted,
- If the bets are made by a celebrity who does not want to catch the eye of the paparazzi,
- If a person – an advantage player, by all means avoiding publicity,
- If bets are placed by a professional athlete who is prohibited from engaging in such activities,
- If it's an official afraid of hurting his career,
- If the player wants to exceed the limit in force in the office, and so on.
In many jurisdictions, this practice is considered illegal.