Casino roulette rules
Roulette is the most famous casino game. In the modern gambling business, it's rating is inferior only to slots and blackjack, but there are no doubts that the vast majority of adults in the world know how to play roulette.
It occupies an important place in popular culture. Numerous books, feature and documentary films, songs, TV shows, and scientific researches are devoted to this casino game. Any decent casino offers roulette, even if it specializes in games of other genres.
With the development of online gambling, it has become more accessible than before. Now anyone can run roulette on a smartphone, computer, tablet, or laptop. You can even play with live dealers.
If you are going to learn the basics, understand the nuances of the game process, compare major versions, master strategy, and learn how to win on roulette, you are in the right place.
Start with the articles published in this section of Casinoz.
The game requires special equipment:
- Round cauldron with a track on which the ball rolls before falling.
- Bone, plastic, or Teflon ball.
- Wheel with cells separated by partitions. They have numbers arranged in a particular order.
- Table with the layout for the bets.
- Multi-colored chips for betting.
- "Dolly" for the winning number on the field.
Also, chip cost markers and additional inventory are used.
General rules of roulette
Let's start with the basics.
The goal of the game of roulette is to guess the winning number, to place a bet on it and get paid.
The classic European roulette has thirty-seven numbers from zero to thirty-six. The order in which they appear on the track is strictly regulated.
The same numbers are duplicated on the table layout. Usually, the scheme is the same in all casinos.
First, the dealer opens the bets and launches the ball. While the ball is rolling, customers place chips on the field. Certain bet types can be made only by the dealer. The dealer also corrects the chips if set uneven, and generally controls the actions of visitors.
A few turns before the ball stops, the dealer closes the bets by saying the appropriate phrase and sweeping the hand over the table. All the chips, placed after that, are not considered as bets and returned to customers.
The dealer indicates the winning number by using a Dolly and removes the losing bets from the field. After that, he makes payments in accordance with the odds.
This completes the game round.
Types of roulette bets
Many types of bets are allowed in all kinds of games. Some of them are considered universal and are presented on any roulette. Some bets are typical only for specific games.
First about the basic ones:
- Inside bets – bets on one, two, three, four or six numbers;
- External bets – bets on columns, dozens, color, large or small numbers, even or odd.
If the roulette table has an additional track with numbers located close to the dealer, you can make call bets. They are accepted by the croupier.
- Neighbors – several numbers on both sides of a particular number;
- Sectors – groups of numbers that overlap the field with a certain number of chips.
Some casinos accept side bets of different types: completes, finals, and so on.
It is allowed to combine bets in different ways, but maximum limits apply and cannot be exceeded in anyways.
All of them are discussed in detail in the thematic articles at Casinoz.
Popular types of roulette
Let's highlight the primary and most common varieties:
- European roulette – the most famous variation;
- American roulette – a game with double zero and unique arrangement of numbers;
- French roulette – a version with more favorable rules of bets on even chances;
- Mini roulette – a miniature variation with a reduced number of pockets and unique payout ratios;
- No zero roulette – a game without zero.
Less common are the roulettes with multiple balls or reels, roulette Boule, models without traditional numbers, and other types. Many software producers for online casinos produce unique games, discussed in the reviews at Casinoz.
European roulette rules
This is the basic version that is easiest to find both in land-based and online casinos.
When it comes to standard roulette rules, usually it means the European type.
Some casinos may not accept call and side bets on European roulette, so make sure you check out the nuances.
American roulette rules
American roulette has two key differences from the European one:
- Double zero ("00");
- A special arrangement of numbers.
Double zero brings additional betting options in American roulette. On the other hand, there are no bets on sectors here.
The rules of French roulette
French roulette is very similar to the European type. Some gambling experts even suggest not to allocate it in a separate variety.
The main feature of French roulette is the La Partage rule, which makes it more profitable to play on even chances.
Roulette with live dealers
Most of the online casinos with real dealers offer to play live roulette. Roulette tables are usually served by girls, but you can meet guys sometimes too. European and American varieties are offered in this format more often, but French and other types are also available.
The rules of the game of live roulette are standard. The only difference that the dealers launch the ball and determine the winning number in the studios, by payouts are made by the program. Customers place bets on the computer using a special interface.
In addition to the general casino rules, which must be followed by all visitors, you should follow unwritten code of conduct at the roulette table.
Here are some of the points:
- Do not violate the personal space of other players.
- Do not distract the dealer if he is busy counting payments or chips.
- Gently place the chips on the field.
- Don't touch the neighbors' chips on the table.
- Avoid crowded tables if possible.
- Do not throw tokens to the dealer if you want to make an oral bet or make an exchange.
- Don't make noise or wave your hands.
- Do not take someone else's place if the visitor left for a couple of minutes and is apparently going to come back.
If you are not sure you act correctly, you better ask your pit boss or the dealer whether you can do this or not.
Advantages and disadvantages of online roulette
Roulette is as popular in online gambling as it is in land-based casinos.
Its main drawback is considered to be the lack of live communication and unique vibe, although the software developers for live roulette are successfully fixing this defect.
At the same time, online roulette has a lot of advantages:
- Huge selection of models of different types;
- Wide range of bets;
- Realistic animation in new games;
- Availability from anywhere in the world where you have Internet connection;
- Games for all devices, including mobile roulette for smartphones;
- You can use cheat sheets;
- No additional costs;
- Free roulette without registration in the demo version;
- Affordable roulette tournaments, and so on.
Reviews of our experts will help to choose the best online casino to play roulette for free and for money.
Roulette in the popular culture
This game has inspired a lot of other entertainment, not related to gambling. Perhaps the most famous of these is a dangerous game called Russian roulette. It has also gone down in history as soprano, or hussar roulette.
We are talking about a kind of duel, implying death one of the participants. Rivals charge one cartridge in a revolver. Then they spin the drum one after another and shoot themselves in the head.
Since this type of bet is not associated with the casino, the rules of the Russian roulette is not discussed in this section.
Roulette rules for beginners at Casinoz
The articles in this section of the gambling guide cover the basic rules, as well as features of the most popular varieties and some rare roulettes.
They discuss the following topics:
- General information;
- Types of bets;
- Additional features and so on.
All publications are written in simple language, understandable to any beginner.
How to win on roulette?
In conclusion, a few practical tips on how to win on casino roulette:
- Give preference to French roulette and other models with the maximum return to player.
- Avoid American roulette if it does not have special rules that reduce the house edge.
- Do not rely on a betting system like the martingale and other popular algorithms.
- Do not trust computer programs that guarantee to win.
For detailed recommendations on the roulette strategy, please read a special section of Casinoz.
The following factors explain the great popularity of roulette in the world.
- The fascinating game process;
- Quite a high level of return;
- Variety of bets;
- Affordability and so on.
Any beginner who has mastered the basic rules and guidelines for the game, can approach the roulette table, start betting at any sequence – and his chances of winning will be the same as the experienced professionals.
Play roulette! It's worth it!