It's hard to name the period in the history of humanity and the corner of the world where the first casino games have seen the light. But it is safe to say that the cheaters appeared as soon as people began to play for money or bet valuable things.
Gambling attracts fraudsters by the active turnover of cash and passionate players, which inevitably lose vigilance and turn out to be easy prey for scammers.
You can become a victim of the sharper not only at the underground casinos, resort restaurants or long-distance trains.
The crooks are ready to trick you even in the big gambling houses with CCTV cameras all around and where every step of the customer is monitored by security.
However, dealers become the primary goal of fraud at the casino more often than the customers. Scammers mark cards, steal chips, increase winning bets, change the deck, hack slot machines, interfere with the roulette wheel operation and do lots of other tricks that allow them to win dishonestly.
Scammers' tricks are described in articles of this section of Casinoz – the best online gambling guide.
Types of casino cheats
A variety of fraudulent tricks in the world of gambling strikes the imagination. In the 21st century, scammers keep using techniques invented hundreds of years ago and apply the latest achievements of science and technology.
Classifying the swindlers who work in the gambling industry is difficult due to some objective reasons. However, we would like to warn our readers about the main "styles" of modern casino criminals:
- Classic cheats – the followers of the old methods: marked cards, "charged" dice, shuffling decks, exchanging cards between boxes, spying on the dealer's closed card and other traditional methods, known since time immemorial.
- Chip fraudsters – those who like to bet the chip on the winning number, increase or decrease the amount at stake after closing bets, and make other illegal manipulation with casino chips.
- Fans of data sharing – these guys use a variety of tricks and devices to transmit information to each other. Morse, the system of gestures, mini cameras, sound signals; an arsenal of their tricks is very wide.
- Followers of the scientific approach – they call physics and mathematics for help. Using specialized gear, they calculate the trajectory of the ball on the roulette, determine the angle of dice rebound in craps, and so on.
- Counterfeiters – this category of crooks counterfeits casino chips, uses different objects instead of tokens on slots, etc.
- Insiders – one of the most vulnerable sides of casinos are croupiers, pit bosses, and management. They collude with scammers and help them beat the casino. Deception options vary widely: charged decks, inflated payments, demonstration of cards, and so on.
- Hackers – the most advanced fraudsters hack jackpot systems, calculate algorithms of pseudo-random number generators, get into the "brains" of slot machines and deceive casinos in other ways.
Many talented cheats are advocates of an integrated approach. Their scams can consist of several stages with the involvement of specialists in different fields. The most striking fraud cases are described in the thematic articles at Casinoz.
On the verge of legal
We should add that some visitors do not break the law, but use methods that are not welcome at the casinos. We are talking about card counters, bonus hunters, dealers provocateurs, fans of free services and others, who visit gambling houses only for their benefit.
They cannot be prosecuted because they do not violate formal rules of the casino, or do it so skillfully that their guilt is impossible to prove.
The activities of such customers can bring significant harm to the house, so gambling operators either create unacceptable conditions for them or kick them out of the casino. For example, to drive away card counters, dealers blindly demolish a few cards to make it ineffective.
We do not consider players who win at the casino due to their skills to be cheaters, that's why articles about them are not included in the scams section.
Roulette fraudsters appeared as soon as casinos began to offer this. Some of them went down in the history of gambling.
One of them is Pierre Dugal, the carpenter, who in the nineteenth century sneaked into the gambling houses at night and grind the roulette wheel. Also, we can't leave without attention the legendary Charles Wells, who broke the bank on roulette in Monte-Carlo multiple times. Special mention should be made of Joseph Jagger, who terrorized a casino with an imperfect roulette.
Modern rogues also love to cheat the roulette.
- Some act the old-fashioned way: stealing chips from the dealer and day-dreaming customers, increase winning bets, secretly remove the losing chips from the field, and so on.
- Others use more complex methods: find roulette defects or calculate the trajectory of the ball with the help of special devices.
Physicists from The Eudaemons team invented a device that gave them a chance to beat the casino at roulette. Luckily for gambling operators, they considered this a scientific experiment, not as a means of enrichment.
In our articles at Casinoz, we discuss the most exciting roulette cheating cases that took place in different years.
Casino card games cheaters
Poker, blackjack, and other card games have become a gold mine for all kinds of cheaters long before the active development of casinos. Swindlers who skillfully "bred the suckers" existed in all countries, where people play cards for money a long time ago.
Rigged deck, marked cards, aces hidden in the sleeves – these well-known techniques are only the tip of the iceberg. The arsenal of card sharers includes a huge number of tricks, and experienced cheaters continue to develop new methods and improve the old ones.
Casino security services around the world are fighting with swindlers who work at the tables for card games, but they far from beating the sharpers. You will see this when you read our articles about them.
Scammers on slot machines
Slots are the most popular type of casino game. The largest casinos have hundreds of video slots. Their huge number complicates the process of visitors' control. An absence of direct supervision pushes many customers to attempts of cheating slot machines.
Of course, homegrown scammers almost always got caught, but professional fraudsters often escape punishment. In the era of mechanical slot machines, crooks used primitive tools to get inside the devices and affect their operation. When casinos started to use electronic slots, sharers have learned to affect the sensors using miniature lanterns.
Cheaters meet every technological innovation of the developers with new techniques that allow them to hack slot machines.
Hackers against casinos
The integration of digital technologies in the gambling industry hasn't solved the problem of casino scams. Hackers came to replace the traditional cheaters.
They do not allow either the owners of offline casinos or operators of gambling sites to relax. They attack online casinos, decrypt algorithms of pseudo-random number generators, steal money from user accounts, interfere with the operation of systems of progressive jackpots, and so on.
In recent years, hackers have become the main characters of news about fraud in the gambling business.
100 best gambling scams at Casinoz
Articles about casino fraudsters are not classified on the site. There is no need for thematic sub-sections. All the publications deserve the attention of our readers interested in this issue in the gambling business because they are dedicated to the most resonant incidents.
You will learn about the legendary card sharers of the past, the founders of roulette fraud, geniuses of the chips spoofing, developers of unique technological devices for cheating the casinos, and other scams.
The section is periodically updated with stories from the past and present. Watch for updates.
Tips for players
How to avoid becoming a victim of a scammer? Here are some practical tips from casino staff and experienced players.
- Avoid illegal gambling. Give up a visit to the dogfish, the underground slot halls, and other questionable places.
- Always give preference to a reliable casino with a good reputation. There are cases when dealers beat the clients using cheating techniques and tricks with the approval of the management.
- Don't gamble with strangers. A beach, a train, resort cafe, city market, amusement park, an apartment of random friends – no matter where you are offered to dispel boredom by playing cards, dice or some other kind of gambling. Always abandon such proposals.
- Cash poker can be dangerous even if you play in clubs. Often, regular players collude and cheat the beginners. The management may not be aware of what is happening or do not bother finding out the details.
- When playing in a real casino or poker room, be aware of the thieves and other scams. Being in the throes of passion, players forget to keep an eye on the chips, mobile phones, bags, car keys, and purse. Do not rely on the security service or employees of video surveillance. They are more concerned about other problems.
- Once and for all give up online casinos that work without licenses or use fake software. They may offer very favorable terms and generous bonuses. Moreover, they can pay. But sooner or later you will face deception on their part, and you will not achieve justice.
In general, all the recommendations on how to avoid becoming a victim of gambling fraud, come to single advice:
Play only in reliable and proven offline and online casinos, poker rooms and bookmakers.
This is the best way to avoid cheaters. Expert reviews at Casinoz will help you to choose an honest online casino.
The history of fraud in the gambling world is full of fascinating stories. It is full of the names of the legendary scammers, specializing in different types of scams. One can only guess how many talented swindlers have never been caught and left unknown to the general public. However, many famous adventurers also escaped punishment because they quit the dangerous craft on time.
Articles about casino cheaters at Casinoz will introduce you to some of the most interesting incidents.