Spanish Directorate General for the Regulation of Gambling was established in 2011. The regulator monitors compliance with legislation in the gambling industry of Spain, issues licenses, checks operators and equipment and monitors compliance with licensing conditions. The organization takes the protection of players' rights very seriously and is involved in handling claims. The social aspect is also highly developed, and the regulator is making significant efforts to protect minors and other categories of citizens from the harmful effects of gambling.
Spanish Directorate General for the Regulation of Gambling review
In the early 1980s, when gambling became legal in Spain, it was regulated by the "National Gambling Act". Taking into account the specifics of the country, each region has adapted this law to its needs. By early 2011, amendments were made and a single gambling authority DGOJ was created. But online gambling was still not quite legal entertainment. Since the country is a member of the European Union, the basic law was amended in 2012, which allowed the industry to develop in accordance with European legislation. Since 2012, foreign online operators have been able to obtain gambling licenses in the country.
The Spanish regulator is actively involved in the development of the gambling industry and not only in its territorial framework. The organization cooperates with leading certifying gambling laboratories, participates in significant industry events (exhibitions), researches and publishes reports on the development of the industry. And in some aspects Spain's Directorate General for gambling regulation is a real innovator:
Starting from 2013, Spanish players can indicate their losses at the casino and receive tax benefits when declaring their income. They are also required to pay and declare tax on winnings.
The regulator initiated a program to protect players from gambling addiction (RGIAJ), with its help, anyone can fill out a self-exclusion form through a personal account on the DGOJ website. By doing so, players will not be accepted and will be able to bet real money in land-based and online casinos. For convenience, the procedure of self-exclusion can be made through the mobile application "DNIe autoprohibidos". Or apply in writing at the organization's office.
It should be noted that the regulator not only regulates the rights and obligations of operators of gambling services, but also explains to players their rights and, last but not least, obligations. One of the most important things that players are strongly advised to familiarize themselves are the rules of the game (casino) and Casinoz entirely in solidarity in this matter.
Naturally, the social side of gambling has not been left aside. The Directorate General of gambling regulation of Spain regularly carries out activities to protect minors from gambling and makes annual programs to improve the methods and work carried out in this category.
The main functionality of the regulator:
- Issuance of permits (licensing) for various types of gambling
- Gambling market research in the country
- Supervision and inspection of gambling activities in the state, including the application of penalties to violators
- Interacts with other authority
- Monitors tax payments from gambling operators
- Fight against illegal gambling
- Develops regulations that apply to the advertising of gambling
- Sets technical requirements for gambling equipment
- Social responsibility
- Promoting and conducting research into the gambling industry and its prevalence or impact on society.
License types of Spanish Directorate General for the Regulation of Gambling
The Directorate regulates all gambling games and divides them into several types: Casinos, slot machine halls, bingo halls, lotteries, bets. In the jurisdiction, there are two types of licensing, which must necessarily have operators deciding to engage in the provision of access to gambling.
- Licencias generales (General licenses) – necessary for the organization of gambling such as "contests", "bets" and other games. It is issued on the basis of a public tender. The number of licenses is not limited.
- Licencias singulars (single licenses) – required for a particular type of gambling activity. It is issued only if there is a "General gambling license" if it (General license) does not cover the type of services provided. Valid for up to 10 years.
In fact, if the online operator wants to accept players from Spain, he needs both types of licenses. The General license will allow you to engage in gambling, and the only license is issued for each type of activity: slot machines, sports betting, poker, blackjack, bingo, etc.it is Valid for three to five years, with the possibility of prolongation.
To apply for a license, the company must be registered as a public limited company in Spain or the company must be registered in the territory of a member state of the European Union. The cost of each license (for a certain type of gambling) is 10,000 euros, you will also have to pay a fee of 2,500 euros for the registration procedure of each license and 38,000 euros for technical expertise (certification). This is a single one-time installment. As of 2018, a security deposit in the sum of 2 million euro is required (this may be a pledge of real estate), starting from the second year of operation of the license, the amount of guarantees is reduced.
online casino pays monthly tax of 20% of the amount of bets made, net of paid winnings.
Work with the appeals (complaints) of players in the Directorate General of Spain for the regulation of gambling is carried out qualitatively. Any player can apply to DGOJ if, in his opinion, the institution (online or land-based) casino does not lawfully pay him winnings or violates his other rights as a player.
There are several ways to contact the regulator:
- In electronic form, through a personal account on the website of the Department. It is necessary to have an electronic certificate (citizen ID) issued by the certification authority.
- On paper at the head office of the regulator. You can fill out a specialized form or write a complaint in a free form.
After receiving a complaint and registering it, the regulator undertakes to respond to the player within two months. Depending on the type of complaint, the following activities will be carried out:
- Guided by the legal authority, DGOJ will consider the complaint and take appropriate action. For example, to impose disciplinary sanctions on the operator.
- If the essence of the claim lies outside the jurisdiction of the regulator, it will be transferred to other competent authorities. In this case, the player can apply to the courts and tribunals of civil jurisdiction.
- If necessary, the player may be required to provide additional evidence of his innocence.
When filling out the claim, players are encouraged to describe in detail the essence of the complaint, as well as attach all the necessary evidence (screenshots, e-mails). And specify full information about themselves.
It is also recommended to choose only licensed by the regulator online casinos, a full list of these institutions is presented on the official website of DGOJ.
Regulator licensed casinos
In the section "Web's operadores" there is a full list of online casinos operating in Spain on the basis of a valid license. Players can check the official domain name and license types of the operator. Currently, the number of online casinos exceed 20 names, among them: 888, Betfair, Betway, Marafonbet, and others.
Spain's regulator has chosen the right way to develop the gambling industry in its country. The organization is very well suited to the licensing of operators, for example, in 2018, the tax was reduced from 28 to 20%. Especially worth noting is the desire of the organization to protect citizens and work with the appeals of players.